‘Alexo' means ‘Protector of Man’

The entire philosophy behind our brand is based on the defence and protection of sellers and buyers of real estate and, through this action, we intend to vastly improve the image of the real estate industry in South Africa.

Alexo Property Brokers provides professional service with a people-centred approach, at very competitive commission rates that are more relevant to the level of work that is required to market and sell a property in the 21st century – giving our clients the full benefit of current available technology.

SUBURB INFORMATION
City Bowl
Atlantic Seaboard
Southern Suburbs
Southern Peninsula
BROWSE FOR SALE
BROWSE TO LET
CITY CENTRE / CBD
DE WATERKANT
FORESHORE
SCHOTCHESKLOOF / BO-KAAP
TAMBOERSKLOOF
HIGGOVALE
GARDENS
VREDEHOEK
ORANJEZICHT
ZONNEBLOEM
UNIVERSITY ESTATE
WOODSTOCK
SALT RIVER
OBSERVATORY
MOWBRAY
SEA POINT
BANTRY BAY
CLIFTON
CAMPS BAY
GREEN POINT
MOUILLE POINT
WATERFRONT
NEWLANDS VILLAGE
NEWLANDS
FERNWOOD - NEWLANDS
BISHOPSCOURT
BISHOPSCOURT VILLAGE
CLAREMONT / CLAREMONT UPPER 
CLAREMONT VILLAGE
KENILWORTH
KENILWORTH PARK
WYNBERG / WYNBERG UPPER / WYNERG VILLAGE (CHELSEA)
HARFIELD VILLAGE
RONDEBOSCH
RONDEBOSCH EAST
LANSDOWNE
KENWYN
PLUMSTEAD
DIEP RIVER
DIEP RIVER CHELSEA
SOUTHFIELD
OTTERY
HEATHFIELD
MEADOWRIDGE
BERGVLIET
DREYERSDAL
KREUPELBOSCH
UPPER CONSTANTIA
LOWER CONSTATIA (BARBAROSSA / DEURDRIF / THE VINES)
ZWAANSWYK
TOKAI
KIRSTENHOF
LAKESIDE
ZANDVLEI
MUIZENBERG
MARINA DA GAMA
COSTA DA GAMA
SILVERTREE ESTATE, TOKAI
STEENBERG GOLF ESTATE
STONEHURST MOUNTAIN ESTATE
IMHOFF’S GIFT
SCARBOROUGH
LAKE MICHELLE
NOORDHOEK
GLENCAIRN HEIGHTS
GLENCAIRN / CAIRNSIDE / WELCOME GLEN
SIMON’S TOWN
ST JAMES
KALK BAY
FISH HOEK
CLOVELLY
SUNNYDALE
SUN VALLEY 
CAPRI
KOMMETJIE / KLEIN SLANGKOP
IMHOFF’S GIFT / BLUEWATER ESTATE
Back to Suburbs
CITY CENTRE / CBD
Cape Town's city centre or Central Business District (CBD) covers approximately 8,25km2. The CBD is located at the foot of Table Mountain, in the centre of the City Bowl. The area is bound to the north by the N1 highway (Foreshore), to the east by Adderley and Roeland Streets (Gardens/Zonnebloem), to the south by Orange Street (Gardens), and to the west by Buitengracht Street (Schotschekloof ‘Bo-Kaap’). 

The CBD is extremely pedestrian-friendly, and many walkways such as St Georges Mall, Government Avenue, and Waterkant Street are teaming with people on any given day. The CBD also offers a multitude of transport options which include MyCiti Bus Rapid Transport system, Golden Arrow Bus Services, private taxis, scooter and bicycle rentals, and the Cape Town railway station (opened in 1863).  

There are approximately 1,400 freehold properties (including large buildings) and 5,000 sectional title apartments and offices in the CBD. Most of South Africa’s large financial institutions, accounting, and legal firms have offices within the CBD. The city centre has also become a popular location for start-up tech firms, international designer brands, art and music festivals, nightclubs, and trendy restaurants. 
Back to Suburbs
DE WATERKANT
De Waterkant is a sub-district of the suburb of Green Point in central Cape Town. The neighbourhood is adjacent to the central business district (CBD) on the south eastern end of Somerset Road. To the south, it is neighboured by the colourful, largely-Muslim community of Bo-Kaap.

Due to its central location, niche restaurants, night clubs and retailers, De Waterkant is extremely popular amongst working professionals, tourists, and companies in the designer, finance, and tech. spaces. The area is home to the Cape Quarter Shopping Centre and Vega College's Cape Town campus.
Back to Suburbs
FORESHORE
The Foreshore is a mixed use area in central Cape Town, situated between the historic city centre and the modern port of Cape Town. The area is built on land reclaimed from Table Bay in the 1930s and 1940s in connection with the construction of the Duncan Dock to replace the old harbour. 

Much of the Foreshore area is occupied by transport infrastructure for the port and Cape Town Railway Station, but the area also represents the point at which the N1 and N2 highways converge into the city. Notable buildings in the area are the Cape Town Civic Centre, Artscape Theatre, Netcare Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital, and the Cape Town International Convention Centre. In recent years, numerous high-value residential and commercial high rises have been constructed within the Foreshore.
Back to Suburbs
SCHOTCHESKLOOF / BO-KAAP
Bo-Kaap is a residential area of Cape Town, formerly known as the Malay Quarter. It is a former township, situated on the slopes of Signal Hill above the city centre and is the historical centre of Cape Malay culture in Cape Town. The Nurul Islam Mosque, established in 1844, is located in the area.

Bo-Kaap is traditionally a multicultural area. The area is known for its brightly coloured homes and cobble stoned streets. As a result of Cape Town's economic development and expansion, and after the demise of forced racial segregation under apartheid, property in the Bo-Kaap has become very sought after, not only for its location but also for its picturesque cobble-streets and unique architecture. Increasingly, this close-knit community is facing a slow dissolution of its distinctive character as wealthy outsiders move into the suburb to snap up homes in the City Bowl at relatively low prices. 

The Bo-Kaap museum located at 71 Wale Street, which dates back to the 1760s, is the oldest house in the area still in its original form. It highlights the cultural contribution made by early Muslim settlers, many of whom were skilled tailors, carpenters, shoe makers and builders. 
Back to Suburbs
TAMBOERSKLOOF
Tamboerskloof is one of the oldest inner-city residential suburbs, and covers an area of approximately 1.04 km2. It is situated on the south eastern slopes of Lions Head and Signal Hill, adjacent to the neighbourhoods of Gardens and Bo-Kaap. Tamboerskloof is one neighbourhood within the bouquet of neighbourhoods referred to as the City Bowl.

Beautifully styled Victorian homes grace many of Tamboerskloof’s streets, while numerous contemporary residences have been added to the hillside over the last two decades. Due to the suburb’s proximity to the city, frequent MyCity buses along Kloofnek Road, and several local cafés and convenience stores all within walking distance, there is very little need for residents to use private transport.  

The suburb has a very active neighbourhood watch called Tamboerskloof Neighbourhood Watch (TBKWatch) which assists the community with volunteer patrols, a radio network, a CCTV network and reporting of service issues such as out of order street lights, traffic lights, potholes, and blocked drains. They work very closely to a community control room (Watchcom), the South African Police Service, City of Cape Town Metro Police, nearby City Improvement Districts, local Armed Response/Security Service Provider companies, and nearby Neighbourhood Watches. This has made Tamboerskloof one of the safest suburbs in the City Bowl. 

Several schools can be found within Tamboerskloof, including Tamboerskloof Primary School, German International School Cape Town, Jan van Riebeek Primary School, and Jan van Riebeek High School.
Back to Suburbs
HIGGOVALE
Higgovale is an affluent, residential suburb situated to the south of Camps Bay Drive on the City Bowl side, and is bordered by the suburb of Camps Bay to the west and Oranjezicht to the east with Lions Head to its immediate north west. There are approximately 260 freehold properties and 172 sectional title properties within the suburb. 

Due to its sheltered, forest-like setting within the gorge between Lions Head and Table Mountain, Higgovale is known as one of Cape Town’s most wind-free areas. Higgovale is one neighbourhood within the bouquet of neighbourhoods referred to as the City Bowl.
Back to Suburbs
GARDENS
Gardens is an inner-city suburb of Cape Town, situated south east of the city centre, from the lower elevations of the "City Bowl" right up to the entrance of the Table Mountain Cable Car. It is considered an affluent neighbourhood, populated largely by young to middle aged professionals and contains numerous chic restaurants, hotels, boutique shops, and apartment blocks. Gardens is one neighbourhood within the bouquet of neighbourhoods referred to as the City Bowl.

The suburb is also a hub for the Cape Town creative industry, being home to several design and film studios, modelling agencies, publishing companies and their associated industries. It is also home to the world-famous five-star Mount Nelson Hotel, Gardens Shopping Centre, and iconic Labia Theatre (68 Orange Street).
Back to Suburbs
VREDEHOEK
Vredehoek (Afrikaans: "corner of peace") is an inner-city suburb of Cape Town, located on the slopes of Devil’s Peak and Table Mountain. Due to its elevated position and orientation, the suburb enjoys some of the last sunlight of the day. Vredehoek is nestled between Oranjezicht, the city centre, and Devil’s Peak Estate. The suburb was proclaimed after the First World War and expatriates from many European countries settled there after peace was declared. Vredehoek is one neighbourhood within the bouquet of neighbourhoods referred to as the City Bowl.

Since the early 2000s, the suburb has undergone a tremendous urban revival, as older apartment blocks are either revamped or replaced with high-end, modern apartments. Numerous, modern, freestanding homes have also been built towards the upper reaches of the suburb. 

Local favourites include Deer Park and its café, as well The Sidewalk Café (of Madame Zingara) in Derry Street. Due to its proximity to the mountain, the suburb is particularly popular with hikers and mountain bikers. Herzlia Highlands Primary, Middle and High Schools are located in MH Goldschmidt Avenue at the top of Vredehoek. 
Back to Suburbs
ORANJEZICHT
Oranjezicht is an inner-city suburb of Cape Town, roughly 113 ha in size. The suburb was built on the site of the old Oranjezicht farm. Oranjezicht is one neighbourhood within the bouquet of neighbourhoods referred to as the City Bowl.

The story behind the farm is that the Swiss canton of Fribourg, bought a property on the slopes of Table Mountain that he called “Oranjezicht” because of the good view from there of the Oranje (Orange) bastion of the Castle. Subsequent to his death, the farm was evidently acquired by Pieter van Breda (1696–1759), who arrived at the Cape in 1719 from the Netherlands. “Oranjezicht” was a farm for the next two centuries. The farm used to supply the Castle of Good Hope with fresh produce. Some of the buildings of the farm as well as the old slave bell are still at the location where the farm once stood. The farmhouse was on the property directly to the East of what is now a public park and playground. It was torn down in the 1960s to make way for a bowling green, which was later replaced by the Oranjezicht City Farm, a community farm, in 2013.

Oranjezicht is considered to be an affluent residential neighbourhood which offers a full spectrum of housing options, from studio apartments to palatial residences. The area contains numerous chic restaurants, hotels, boutique shops, and cafés.

The Molteno Dam in Oranjezicht, which is still operational today, was built in 1877 to provide water for Cape Town by storing natural spring water from Table Mountain. At the time it was located on the mountain slopes above the infant city, but the city grew around it, and it is now situated in the middle of the suburb, two roads above De Waal Park. De Waal Park is one of only two leash-free parks in Cape Town, the other being Keurboom Park in Rondebosch. 

St. Cyprian's School and the Booth Memorial Hospital are both located in Oranjezicht. 
Back to Suburbs
ZONNEBLOEM
Zonnebloem (Dutch for ‘sunflower’) is an inner-city mixed use suburb of Cape Town, which was previously part of District Six. It is located to the south east of the city centre. 

Zonnebloem’s beginnings date back to 1707, when it was a small farm (or market garden), whose original purpose was to supply the ships anchored at Table Bay with scurvy-preventing fresh fruit and vegetables for their long ocean trips. Zonnebloem farm had a succession of owners until the early 19th century, when it became a suburb of Cape Town as the population and city boundaries grew. The suburb became a home to freed slaves, merchants, labourers, and immigrants. During apartheid, the area of District Six was declared a white-only area and the existing residents were evicted. Much of the open land has stood vacant since then, but redevelopment and redistribution is being planned in conjunction with the families that were previously, forcibly removed.  

Zonnebloem is home to the District Six Museum, Fugard Theatre, the new E-TV head office, and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (Cape Town Campus). 
Back to Suburbs
UNIVERSITY ESTATE
University Estate is a residential suburb of Cape Town, located at the foot of Devil's Peak Mountain to the east of the city. The suburb is bounded by the De Waal Drive to the south, Eastern Boulevard to the north, and Mountain Road to the west. To the south lie the slopes of Devil's Peak within the Table Mountain National Park, to the north lies Woodstock and Salt River, and to the west lies District Six (Walmer Estate). Pedestrian access to Devil's Peak is possible via stairs to De Waal Drive on Kylemore Road and via a short walkway on the median between the highway's inbound and outbound lanes. Upper Woodstock and Salt River are accessible by foot from two pedestrian bridges across Eastern Boulevard.

Until F.W. de Klerk's government repealed the Apartheid’s 1950 Group Areas Act in June 1991, University Estate had been classed as an exclusively "white" area. Up until this point, the suburb was indeed inhabited solely by whites - a large number of the residents being from the Portuguese immigrant community. Over the years that followed, the suburb has become very popular among wealthier families from previously excluded racial groups.

Since the suburb is zoned almost exclusively for residential use, there are few businesses in the area. Exceptions include 88 Roodebloem Road (a small factory complex adjacent to Eastern Boulevard), a small number of guest lodges scattered throughout the area and some low-impact home businesses.

Maria Montessori Preschool is located on Garrick Road in University Estate, and there is a public park on the corner of Rhodes Avenue and Haig Road.
Back to Suburbs
WOODSTOCK
Woodstock is located between the docks of Table Bay and the lower slopes of Devil's Peak, about 1 km east of the city centre of Cape Town. 

Woodstock has changed dramatically over the last decade. Young professionals have been quick to take advantage of relatively affordable Victorian semi-detached homes, many of which have been beautifully renovated and restored. Trendy restaurants, innovative media and other businesses, offices, shops and furniture showrooms have sprung up in cleverly converted and revamped warehouses, abandoned buildings and even a disused Castle Brewery. 

BRIEF HISTORY:

The area was inhabited by Khoikhoi until the arrival of Dutch in the 1600s. Their subsequent decline followed as a result of fighting over land with the Dutch, imported European diseases and eventual assimilation into the Cape community. Three freehold farms (Zonnebloem, Leliebloem and Roodebloem) were established on the slopes of Devils Peak in 1692 and as the area became populated it became known as Papendorp - after Pieter van Papendorp, who had settled in the area during the mid-eighteenth century. By the middle of the 19th century, especially after the arrival of the railway line, Woodstock had become a fashionable seaside suburb with cottages next to the sea and a beach which stretched until the Castle of Good Hope. In the ‘age of sail’ a number of violent storms led to many spectacular shipwrecks along the beach. After a brief stint as New Brighton the residents voted in 1867 at the Woodstock

Hotel to change the area’s name to Woodstock.

During the 1870s with the subdivision of the old farms for low cost housing, Woodstock began to grow so rapidly that by 1884, less than a year after becoming a separate municipality, Woodstock was the third largest ‘town’ in the country. Ease of access to the harbour; improved transport; increased industrialisation and a rapidly growing working class population meant that the massive demand for supplies from the British troops during the First and Second Anglo-Boer Wars (1881 and 1899-1902) could be met, and industrial activity flourished, permanently changing the nature of the suburb. The first glass manufactured in South Africa was made at the Woodstock Glass Factory in 1879.

With the massive land reclamation of Table Bay in the 1950s to create the Cape Town foreshore, Woodstock beach was lost, and combined with the increasingly industrial nature of the suburb, Woodstock ceased to be a seaside resort. Woodstock however managed to remain integrated during Apartheid and survived being declared a ‘whites only’ area with the attendant forced removals and demolition of houses as was the case in nearby District Six. As a ‘grey’ area, many coloured and black people started to move into Woodstock during the 1970s and 1980s, laying the foundation for the urban renewal which was to start in the late 1990s.
Back to Suburbs
SALT RIVER
Salt River is a suburb of Cape Town, to the east of Cape Town's central business district (CBD). Salt River is named after a river of the same name. The Salt River is formed by the confluence of the Liesbeek and Black Rivers. The river has been canalised and flows into Table Bay between Paarden Eiland and Brooklyn. Due to its close proximity to the CBD, Salt River was once the industrial heart of Cape Town. 

The suburb became popular with Cape Malays and the so-called “coloured” working class. Most of whom moved into the area from District Six in the late 1950s and early 1960s, even before the "forced removals" from District Six (1966). Cape Malays and "coloureds" could buy houses in Salt River but Indians could not. However Indians were allowed to live in Salt River provided they buy or rent a house attached to a corner grocer shop. On almost every corner in Salt River there used to be grocer shops where people could buy daily necessities over the counter. Today Salt River is still largely populated by second and third generations of Cape Malay and "coloured" families. "Coloured" people are mostly of the Christian faith. Salt River is known to be one of the most religiously tolerant suburbs in the Cape, with Cape Malays, who are of the Muslim faith and "coloured" Christians getting along very well. There are several churches in the area and two mosques (Masjids) - one in Tennyson Street (Muhammadiyah Masjid) and one in Addison Road.

Salt River has many schools, a football club and sports field (Shelley Road), several small-medium breweries (including Devil’s Peak), and in recent years many large businesses have established offices in and around Durham Avenue and Foundary Road. 
Back to Suburbs
OBSERVATORY
Affectionately known as Obz, the suburb is bordered by Mowbray to the south, and Salt River to the northwest. It is best known as a student neighbourhood, most of whom attend the University of Cape Town (UCT) located close by.  

The suburb’s name is derived from the location and construction of the Royal Observatory in 1820, located in the area at 33°56′7.13″S 18°28′38.47″E.  The Observatory houses the McClean Telescope. The building was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and was completed in 1897. The original buildings now serve as the headquarters of the South African Astronomical Observatory, with an on-site museum exhibiting various historic instruments and telescopes. 

Observatory is also home to Groote Schuur Hospital - one of only three tertiary hospitals in Cape Town – and the place where Professor Christiaan Barnard famously performed the first successful heart transplant in the world. 

During the years of apartheid, Observatory was one of the few de facto 'grey' suburbs where all races lived together. The neighbourhood has a longstanding, vibrant entertainment scene, with numerous restaurants and bars – many located along Lower Main Road.

The area is served by the Observatory railway station on the Southern Line, with regular trains every 40 minutes or so, and every hour on Sunday. In 2006, the Observatory Neighbourhood Watch was established, and CCTV cameras were erected at most of the exits and entrances to Obz. The Raapenberg Bird Sanctuary, which protects 10 hectares (25 acres) of land along the Liesbeek River, sits adjacent to Observatory. 

Observatory has a soccer and hockey stadium (Hartleyvale Stadium) situated below the station, which is flanked on one side by Liesbeeck Parkway and on the other by Willow Road. In this section of land, there is also an outdoor swimming pool that is popular on summer afternoons – between the two there is a circus school. A driving range and nine-hole golf course is housed at the River Club.
Back to Suburbs
MOWBRAY
Mowbray sits on the slopes of Devil's Peak, in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town. The suburb takes up roughly 2.76 km2 and has approximately 5,000 residents. Its original name was Driekoppen ("Three heads" in Dutch). 

The Liesbeeck River flows from south to north through Mowbray, and separates the suburb into two distinct sections. The western section lies on the lower slopes of Devil's Peak, and contains most of the commercial development in the suburb. The eastern section, known as "Little Mowbray", lies on the low hill between the Liesbeeck and Black Rivers.

Mowbray is at a junction of several major Cape Town highways and has an important multi-modal public transport interchange at Mowbray railway station - served by the Metrorail Southern Suburbs railway line, a large Golden Arrow bus station with routes spread across Cape Town, and a minibus taxi rank.

Rhodes Memorial, built in memory of Cecil John Rhodes, lies on the slopes of Devil's Peak west of Mowbray near the M3 Highway. A national landmark, Rhodes Memorial lies within the Table Mountain National Park and was built with granite from the rock bases on which the mountain rests. The memorial site offers panoramic day time and night time views of the Cape Peninsula and Cape Town and is popular amongst tourists and locals.

The Mowbray Golf Course, adjacent to the N2 Highway, was established in 1910 and is recognised for being amongst the best in South Africa. It is an 18-hole golf course with a combination of links and parklands. The course has hosted the South African Open several times.

Another historical attraction - Mostert's Mill (a 7.94m high windmill) is located at the top of Mowbray. It was built in 1796 and is the oldest surviving and only complete windmill in South Africa. It was restored to working order in 1995 by Dunning-Bremer.
Back to Suburbs
SEA POINT
Sea Point is one of Cape Town’s most affluent and densely populated suburbs, situated on a narrow stretch of land between Signal Hill and the Atlantic Ocean, a few kilometres to the west of Cape Town's Central Business District (CBD). Multilevel houses built in close proximity to one another occupy the high reaches of the mountainside, while apartment buildings are more common in the central area and toward the beach-front. 

An important communal space is the beach-front promenade, a paved walkway along the ocean’s edge, used by residents and tourists for walking, jogging and socialising. Sea Point beach adjoins an Olympic-sized seawater swimming pool, which has served generations of Capetonians since the early 1950s. The rocks off the beaches at Sea Point are in large part basaltic, and internationally famous in the history of geology. There are extensive beds of kelp offshore. Compared to the False Bay side of the Cape Peninsula, the water is colder (11 °C - 16 °C).

Schools in the area include Sea Point Primary School and Sea Point High School (formerly Sea Point Boys' High School) founded in 1884, and Herzlia Weizmann Primary. The French School of Cape Town opened on 14 October 2014 after a multimillion Rand upgrade of the old Tafelberg Remedial School.  
Back to Suburbs
BANTRY BAY
Bantry Bay is an affluent residential suburb of Cape Town situated on the north western slopes of Lion's Head, overlooking the rocky coastline of the Atlantic Sea Board. Its neighboring suburbs are Sea Point, Fresnaye and Clifton. 

It was originally called Botany Bay after a botanical garden that was planted there for the cultivation of medicinal herbs. The name was changed during World War I. There is a plaque on the seashore that commemorates a visit by Charles Darwin, who made important geological observations in the area relating to the nature and origin of granite. 

Bantry Bay is known to be one of the most wind-free areas in Cape Town. Secluded & protected, the inhabitants of this exclusive area enjoy about 290 wind free days per year - a significant fact given Cape Town's windy climate.
Back to Suburbs
CLIFTON
Clifton is an affluent, exclusively residential suburb of Cape Town, along the Atlantic Sea Board. The area is home to some of the most expensive real estate in South Africa, with residences nestled on cliffs that have sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean. Clifton was originally called Skoenmakers Gat (Cobbler's Cave) after a ship deserter who lived in a cave above second beach. Clifton is neighbored by the suburbs of Camps Bay and Bantry Bay.

Clifton was rated as one of the Top Ten Beaches by the cable and satellite television network Discovery Travel Channel in 2003 and 2004 and has received Blue Flag status. 

The area has a set of 4 beaches which are frequently used destinations for both locals and tourists. The beaches, which are named from 1st to 4th, are separated by falls of granite boulders and have almost pure white granitic sand. The four beaches of Clifton are one of the few areas well protected from the notorious south-easterly wind, which has a great deal to do with its popularity with bathers. A fifth beach, before First Beach, called Moses Beach (so-called because of the papyrus plants that grow along it), appears and disappears as the sand is washed in and out with the seasons. The water, although chilly (12–16 °C), plays host to many watersports, mostly surfing - both board and body.
Back to Suburbs
CAMPS BAY
Camps Bay is an affluent residential suburb of Cape Town, located on the western, ocean-facing slopes of the Table Mountain National Park. In summer it attracts huge crowds of foreign visitors as well as locals because of its sandy beaches, glorious sunsets, and entertainment strip. The suburb has more than 2,000 freehold residences, and over 1,200 sectional title properties.  

First inhabited by the San (Hunter Gatherers) and the Goringqhaique (Khoi pastorates), Camps Bay was largely undeveloped until the early part of the 20th century. Lord Charles Somerset used the area for hunting and used the Roundhouse as his lodge. Kloof Road was built in 1848 and in 1884 Thomas Bain was commissioned to build a road from Sea Point to Camps Bay using convict labour. The road was completed in 1887 and named Victoria Road to honour Queen Victoria’s jubilee in 1888. The road allowed people to cycle out to Camps Bay which had gained popularity as a picnic site. This led to the development, in 1901, of the Camps Bay tramway to bring people out for the day and with it the development of the tidal pools, the Rotunda (now the Bay Hotel) and a pavilion for concerts and shows. In 1913 Camps Bay was incorporated into Cape Town although it was still seen as a recreational area rather than a residential area. 

Camps Bay has since been extensively developed and now hosts some of the most prestigious properties in the Cape. A wide variety of restaurants, side walk cafes and bars line Victoria Road opposite Camps Bay Beach, which is affectionately referred to as "the Camps Bay strip".

Camps Bay Beach, a Blue Flag Beach since 2008, is the largest white sand beach in Camps Bay. There is a seasonal life guard station with ablution facilities at the west end of the beach. Glen Beach, at the far right of Camps Bay beach, is known as Camps Bay's best surfing beach. Short, fast rides and a small take-off area makes Glen Beach one of the hardest of Cape Town's beach breaks to surf and has resulted in a strong local atmosphere.
Back to Suburbs
GREEN POINT
Green Point is a mixed use suburb at the juncture of the Atlantic Sea Board and Cape Town CBD, located to the north west of the city centre. It is a popular residential area for young professionals, creatives, and holiday makers. The Main Road is lined with espresso bars, restaurants, burger joints, clubs, pubs, and retail outlets. 

The Cape Town Stadium was constructed in Green Point (on the Common) for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Numerous infrastructural developments were made at the same time, with the upgrade to Helen Suzman Boulevard and the new Granger Bay Boulevard being constructed, along with a massive investment in creating a public urban park around the stadium. The park houses numerous picnic spots, play areas, walkways, a golf course, amphitheatre, and indigenous gardens. Green Point Lighthouse, which was first lit on 12 April 1824, is located right next door. It was the first solid lighthouse structure on the South African coast, and is the oldest operational lighthouse in South Africa. 
Back to Suburbs
MOUILLE POINT
Mouille Point is an affluent residential suburb of Cape Town, situated between the V & A Waterfront and Granger Bay to the east, Green Point to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the north and west. The suburb hugs the coastline and is dominated by high-rise apartment blocks.

Mouille Point is a relatively small suburb of only 1,500 odd apartments and less than 100 freehold properties. Beach Road runs straight through the suburb, with the Mouille Point promenade (used daily by thousands of Capetonians) on the ocean side, and apartments on the mountain side. The new Green Point Urban Park & Biodiversity Garden is just behind Mouille Point.

The name "Mouille" comes from the French word for an anchoring ground. In the early 18th century ships were often swept ashore in Table Bay and the then governor decided that a breakwater (mouille in French) was needed to protect vessels at anchor. Work began in 1743. All farmers who delivered their goods to the city were required to load up their wagons with stones, drive out to Mouille Point and offload. Slaves and convicts were used to build the breakwater but after three years of labour and high seas, just 100m had been built and the project was abandoned. In 1781 the French arrived and built a battery near the unfinished mouille, naming it Mouille Point Battery.
Back to Suburbs
WATERFRONT
The Victoria & Alfred (V&A) Waterfront in Cape Town is situated on the Atlantic shore, Table Bay Harbour, the City of Cape Town and Table Mountain. Positioned within South Africa’s oldest working harbour, the 123 hectare (1.23 km2) area has been developed for mixed-use, with both high-end residential and commercial real estate.

Prince Alfred, second son of Queen Victoria, visited the Cape Colony harbour in 1860 as a sixteen year-old Royal Navy Midshipman on HMS Euryalus. He made a big splash with the colonials on this first-ever visit by a member of the Royal Family. The first basin of the new Navy Yard was named after him and the second after his mother.

The Waterfront Shopping Precinct attracts more than 23 million visitors a year to its approximate 450 retail outlets (fashion, homeware, and curios). Numerous restaurants, pubs, and food stalls line the harbour’s pedestrian spaces. The world-famous Two Oceans Aquarium is also located in the Waterfront, where marine diversity is showcased from both the Indian and Atlantic Oceans.
Back to Suburbs
NEWLANDS VILLAGE
Newlands Village is a small pocket of Newlands, north of the M3 (Edinburgh Drive) between Newlands Avenue and the Liesbeek River. Properties in the area are predominantly semis, cottages and duplexes - some within gated villages. The price of property in “the Village” comes at a considerably high R/m2 value, because of the inability of the village to expand any further, the quaint charm of the beautiful heritage buildings located there, and the close proximity of the Village to amenities like Westerford High School, SACS Junior and High Schools, University of Cape Town, Newlands Rugby and Cricket Stadiums, Cavendish Square, Forester’s Arms Pub, and the eateries around the Kildare Road / Main Street intersection.  
Back to Suburbs
NEWLANDS
Newlands is a relatively large, upmarket residential area within the Southern Suburbs, located either side of the M3 highway, just south of the University of Cape Town. The area is renowned for its forest-like setting, mountain views, high rainfall, and close proximity to the city centre, Kirstenbosch Gardens, and excellent schools. Schools in the area include Westerford High School, SACS Junior and High Schools, and the University of Cape Town. The area is filled with dozens of trendy and traditional dining and entertainment options, including Basilico, Forester’s Arm Pub, Barristers Grill, Wijnhuis, Melissas, The Creamery, El Burro, and Myoga. The list of attractions in Newlands goes on to include Newlands Rugby and Cricket Stadiums, Newlands Brewery (SAB), Newlands Forest, The Vineyard Hotel, and Kelvin Grove Club. 
Back to Suburbs
FERNWOOD - NEWLANDS
The distinctive southern half of Newlands which sits above Rhodes Drive, and borders the Table Mountain Forest Reserve (adjacent to Kirstenbosch Gardens) is known as Fernwood. Fernwood is an upmarket, purely residential area towards the northern tip of the Southern Suburbs, and was named after a farm estate which used to occupy the area. The original manor house of this estate still exists, but is now used as a parliamentary sports club.

Individual land (erven) sizes in Fernwood are predominantly smaller (±500m2) than properties in other parts of Newlands, and so the majority of remodels and new builds in the area are multilevel homes – to capitalize on the elevated views over Bishopscourt, the Cape Flats and up towards Table Mountain and Devils Peak. Fernwood residents enjoy direct access onto the mountain’s hiking trails, quick access to the University of Cape Town and City Centre, as well as the close proximity to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, and the revitalized green belt along the upper parts of the Liesbeek River. 

Rhodes Drive is the only way to access Fernwood by vehicle. A network of security cameras along Rhodes Drive (managed by the local neighbourhood watch and private security companies) has kept crime levels very low. 

These factors, together with Fernwood’s access to excellent local schools (see Newlands), has made the area very popular for families wanting a secure, low-maintenance lifestyle.  
Back to Suburbs
BISHOPSCOURT
Bishopscourt is a small, high-value, residential suburb to the east of Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town. It has approximately 350 properties most of which are on more than 4,000 m2 (1 acre) of land. The suburb is renowned for wide roads, large grounds, its forest-like setting, and elevated views of the back of Table Mountain and Devils Peak. Bishopscourt is on the doorstep of the Constantia Valley Wine Route, and is a mere 15 minute drive from the city centre, Cape Town International Airport, and Hout Bay.  

The suburb includes the official residence of the Archbishop of Cape Town, which is known as Bishopscourt – from which the suburb derives its name. 

In 2015, Bishopscourt was ranked the sixth wealthiest suburb in South Africa with an average property value of R11million. 
Back to Suburbs
BISHOPSCOURT VILLAGE
Bishopscourt Village is a small pocket of Bishopscourt at the bottom (northern) tip of the main suburb. The Village comprises of only 143 residential properties, each with an average stand (erf) size of 500 m2. The dozen or so roads that make up the Village are relatively level, and residents enjoy much of the same amenities as their neighbours in the upper reaches of Bishopscourt, but with smaller properties to maintain. Village residents have direct access to the landscaped gardens, walkways, and picnic spots along the revitalized Liesbeek River which adjoins this tranquil suburb.    
Back to Suburbs
CLAREMONT / CLAREMONT UPPER 
Claremont is a dense, mixed use suburb within the Southern Suburbs, approximately 12km south of Cape Town’s city centre. It is situated between Rondebosch, Newlands, Bishops Court, Kenilworth, and Lansdowne. It is an important commercial and residential area, which has been experiencing significant growth and development since the 1970s. There are currently around 4,400 freehold properties and 4,150 sectional title properties registered within the 5.21 km2 area of Claremont and Claremont Upper (above Main Road / M4). 

Claremont has a long history record which dates back to 1657 when the first farms were established in the area by Dutch settlers. After the colony had been taken over by the British in 1814, the character of the area gradually changed from agricultural to residential. British settlers and officials bought the farms, renamed some of them, and turned them into country residences. The village grew during the 1840s and 1850s. Public transport consisted of horse-drawn omnibuses which plied along the Main Road from 1837 until the railway was opened in 1864. The opening of the railway from Cape Town to Wynberg in 1864 spurred subdivision and further development. The land along Lansdowne Road east of the railway line was subdivided and developed from 1882, creating a large residential area which is now known as "Harfield Village". 

In 1913, Claremont and several other municipalities were incorporated into the city of Cape Town. Considerable residential growth took place in the 1920s and 1930s, when estates such as Palmyra, Keurboom, Ravensworth, Sanatorium Estate, The Vineyard, Wyndover, and Edinburgh Estate were subdivided and developed. An additional railway station, named "Harfield Road", was built in 1931. The government enforced its apartheid system on Claremont in the 1960s, forcing the Coloured residents to leave. As a result, large areas of the suburb stood derelict for several years. Claremont remained predominantly residential until the early 1970s, when commercial development began. A major shopping mall, named Cavendish Square, was opened in 1973, and other shopping centres followed. 

The area has continued to receive large investment with several large apartment blocks, office parks, hotels and transport interchanges being built over the last half a century. The commercial developments along Claremont Main Road have sprouted what many see as a second CBD to the city centre. 

Claremont (and specifically Claremont Upper) is home to dozens of schools and places of worship.
Back to Suburbs
CLAREMONT VILLAGE
Claremont Village is a small, mixed use suburb situated between Harfield Village and Kenilworth Shopping Centre. The suburb has approximately 230 freehold properties and 260 sectional title apartments. There are many examples of heritage properties dotted around the village, however newer residences and townhouse complexes give the area a more modern feel, when compared to its neighbour Harfield Village. 

A huge attraction to the area is the extremely popular Rosmead Avenue Shopping Centre, which houses a Super Spar, several take away establishments, a Medicross Clinic, pharmacy, liquor store, DVD shop, and small office park. Adjacent to this shopping centre, along Rosmead Avenue, is a Pick n Pay, fuel station, tyre fitment centre (Tonnesen Motors), a pub (Rascals), and several retail shops and take-away franchises. Primrose Rugby Club is located behind the Rosmead Avenue Shopping Centre. 
Back to Suburbs
KENILWORTH
Kenilworth is a central, densely-populated residential suburb in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town. The suburb is bordered by Wynberg to the south and Claremont to the north. Kenilworth railway station is on the main line from Cape Town to Simon's Town, and Kenilworth is easily accessed from the M3, M4 (Main Road) and M5 highways. There are just over 1,000 registered freehold properties and approximately 2,150 apartments in the suburb. 

The suburb is particularly popular amongst students, young professionals and families due to its smaller homes with entry-level prices, and close proximity to excellent private and public schools (e.g. Beau Soleil Music Centre, Cedar House, Greenfield Girls Primary, Michael Oak Waldorf School, Voortrekker High School and Auburn House Montessori School). There are also numerous public play parks dotted throughout the suburb. 

The Kenilworth Racecourse is a large part of the economy of the suburb. Not only drawing in large crowds during the Sun Met and smaller crowds during the more common races but it is also the site of a commercial park that hosts numerous businesses including the headquarters of Pick 'n Pay Stores Limited. There is a conservation area (52 ha in size) within the confines of the racetrack. Access Park, a large factory outlet shopping complex, is also located in the suburb.
Back to Suburbs
KENILWORTH PARK
Kenilworth Park is an area which sits adjacent, and to the west of the M5 highway. The mixed use area encompasses the Kenilworth Racecourse and its internal Kenilworth Racecourse Conservation Area (52 ha) as well as an office park known as Greenford Office Estate. There is a collection of small, cluster-style townhouses and apartments to the south the office park, which run along a narrow stretch of land parallel to the M5.  

The residential part of the area is particular popular with students and young families, which has made it sought-after amongst investors who are virtually guaranteed of a constant demand for rental properties.  
Back to Suburbs
WYNBERG / WYNBERG UPPER / WYNERG VILLAGE (CHELSEA)
Wynberg is a large, mixed use suburb within the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town. It is situated between Plumstead, Claremont Upper and Kenilworth. Due to its central location, it is a main transport hub for the Southern Suburbs. Properties within Wynberg range from student-size studio apartments, to Victorian manor homes on over 4,000 m2 of land. 

In 1683 land along the Liesbeek River was granted to Herman Weeckens by Simon van der Stel. The farm was named De Oude Wijnbergh (Old Wine Mountain). A wagon route linking Cape Town to Simon's Town went over the hill adjacent to De Oude Wjinbergh estate, and was used extensively during the formal winter anchorage in 1743, when numerous ships were docked at Simons' Baai (present day Simon's Town). 

When the British took control of the Cape settlement on 16 September 1795 the small farming area of Wynberg developed rapidly into a garrison town, as the British settled a large number of troops in the area. A notable settler was Alexander Tennant who built a house in the area which is still standing, named Sonnebloem. 

Being a convenient half way point between Table Bay and False Bay led to Wynberg becoming a hub of commercial activity. The authorities set up allotted places where large teams of oxen could be unyoked and graze. The village provided farmers with an alternative to the market in Cape Town, and as more farms were subdivided, commercial and residential properties began to increase.

Wynberg Upper (above the M4 / Main Road) includes Wynberg Village (Chelsea) and is home to several revered schools including Wynberg Girls' Junior and High Schools, Wynberg Boys’ Junior and High Schools, Springfield Convent School, and Laerskool Simon van der Stel. Schools located in the lower parts of Wynberg (below the Main Road) include Dominican School for the Deaf, Muhammadeyah Primary School, Douglas Road Pimary School, Wittebome High School, and the College of Cape Town. 

Wynberg Chelsea, which is a small area to the west of Maynardville Park, contains the largest surviving concentration of traditional Cape thatched vernacular cottages in Cape Town. It also boasts a fine collection of Cape Georgian and Victorian buildings.

Wynberg is home to numerous government facilities and services including the Wynberg Civic Centre, Fire Station, Recycling Yard, Sports Club, Western Cape Social Development, Home Affairs, and Magistrates Court. The Maynardville Park which is roughly 0.12 km² in size sits between the Main Road (M4) and Wynberg Chelsea. The park has numerous children’s play areas and ponds, and is the location of the Maynardville Open-Air Theatre, which is an outdoor theatre that seats 720 people and is renowned for its Shakespearean plays, and ballets.    
Back to Suburbs
HARFIELD VILLAGE
The opening of the railway line from Cape Town to Wynberg in 1864 spurred subdivision and further development of Claremont. The land along Lansdowne Road east of the railway line was developed from 1882, creating a large residential area which is now known as "Harfield Village". Harfield Village is situated between Claremont and Kenilworth. 

This central suburb is best described as a trendy, picturesque village of cottages, playparks, and quiet roads. There is popular string of restaurants, pubs and shops along Second Avenue. Second Avenue is closed off once a year to host the Harfield Village Carnival – a family-oriented day of stalls, live music, and an exciting selection of food, sweet treats, wine and craft beer. 

Local favourites include the very popular café Caffeen (on the corner of Hampstead and Third Avenue), Fat Harry’s and Banana Jam Café on Second Avenue, and Bardelli’s Italian Restaurant on Kenilworth Road. 

Harfield Village is served by schools in the neighbouring suburbs of Claremont and Kenilworth, namely Greenfield Girl’s Primary School, Barkly House Pre-Primary School, Claremont High School, Nasa Monterssori Preparatory, Livingstone High School, Cedar House, and Michael Oak Waldorf School. There is also a well-respected, 24 hour, private animal clinic (veterinarian) on Rosmead Avenue.
Back to Suburbs
RONDEBOSCH
Rondebosch is one of the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town, located between the slopes of Devil's Peak / M3 in the west and the M5 highway in the east.  To the north are the suburbs of Rosebank and Mowbray, while to the south are Newlands and Claremont. The eastern border of Rondebosch is the M5 highway; beyond the M5 are the suburbs of Sybrand Park, Athlone and Rondebosch East. 

Four years after the first Dutch settlement at the Cape in 1652, the first experimental crops were grown along the banks of the Liesbeek River (at that stage called the Amstel or Versse Rivier). In 1657, the first group of Dutch East India Company employees gained "free burgher" (free citizen) status and were granted land along the river in the area now known as Rondebosch.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, Rondebosch became a predominantly English-speaking area and was declared a whites-only area under the Group Areas Act. Since the end of Apartheid in the mid-1990s, the area has become increasingly integrated.

Rondebosch is primarily a residential suburb, with a medium-size commercial area along Main and Belmont Roads, as well as the main campus of the University of Cape Town on the slopes of Devil’s Peak (above the M3 highway).

Rondebosch Common, once a military campground, was declared a national monument and is also an important fynbos conservation area. Runners and dog-walkers alike make daily use of the paved walkway which encircles the common. Another local attraction is the Baxter Theatre, which is Cape Town's second biggest theatre complex. 

Arguably Rondebosch’s biggest drawcard for families is the plethora of renowned schools in the area, including Diocesan College (Bishops), Rondebosch Boys' Preparatory and High Schools, St. Joseph's Marist College, South African College School (SACS), Mickelfield, Oakhurst Girls’ Primary, Rustenburg Girls’ Junior and High Schools, and Westerford High School.   
Back to Suburbs
RONDEBOSCH EAST
As the name suggests, this suburb is located to the east of the neighbouring suburb of Rondebosch. As of 2001 it had a population of approximately 4,600 people in an area of just over 1 km2. Rondebosch East is bordered by Athlone to the north, Crawford to the east, Lansdowne to the south, and Rondebosch to the west.

The area is particularly popular amongst Muslim families due to its quiet suburban streets, proximity to several mosques, Islamia College (with Islamia Mosque Masjid-al-Furqaan), and good local schools.

Notable residents include Nizaam Caar (born 1991) – a South African rugby player who has played numerous games for the Stormers (Super Rugby), Western Province (Currie Cup), and for the national side. Nizaam was the first Muslim to be named in the Springboks squad, and the first Muslim to have captained a Super Rugby team.      
Back to Suburbs
LANSDOWNE
Lansdowne is a former whites-only residential suburb in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town, situated roughly 10 kilometres southeast of Cape Town City Centre. The suburb is surrounded by the suburbs of Rondebosch East, Crawford, Wetton, Claremont, Kenwyn and Athlone. Lansdowne is served by a railway station of the same name, on the Cape Flats Line.

Since the end of apartheid the area has become increasingly integrated. The area is particularly popular amongst Muslim families due to its quiet suburban streets, proximity to several mosques, Islamia College (with Islamia Mosque Masjid-al-Furqaan), and good local schools. There is a commercial node with a string of businesses along Iman Haron Road – which runs through the centre of the suburb from southeast to northwest.   
Back to Suburbs
KENWYN
The relatively small residential suburb of Kenwyn is located opposite Kenilworth Racecourse - bordered on the West by the M5, Racecourse Road (North), railway line (East) and Wetton Road (South). Kenwyn is a family-orientated suburb, which is particularly popular amongst Muslim families, due to its proximity to several nearby mosques. The area is served by local schools - Kenwyn Primary School, Sunlands Primary School, and Oaklands High School.

The Chukker Road Sports Complex, in Kenwyn, is home to the Victoria Cricket Club, the Varsity Old Boys Baseball and Softball Club, the Lansdowne Eagles Baseball and Softball Club, and Violets Rugby Club.
Back to Suburbs
PLUMSTEAD
Historically, Plumstead was first mentioned when, in 1762, a large portion of the land beyond Wynberg and the Constantia Valley was granted to the free burghers Hendrick Jergens and Johan Barrens, who were Dutch settlers. They called the land 'Rust' (Rest) and 'Werk' (Work). Twenty years later the land was granted to Hendrick Bouman Brigeraad. After the decline of the Dutch East India Company, the British occupied the Cape. An Englishman, Henry Batt, arrived in 1807 and bought 'Rust and Werk' and renamed it Plumstead, after a district of London. Henry Batt farmed the area for twenty six years, and died in 1833. The farm Plumstead was sub-divided and bought by Messrs. Higgs, Loubscher and Southey.

Today, Plumstead consists of a mix of houses built in the 1940s and 1950s and more modern residences. The suburb contains a number of educational institutions, including John Graham Primary School, Timour Hall Primary School, Plumstead Preparatory School, Plumstead High School, South Peninsula High School Norman Henshilwood High School as well as The Cape Town College of Fashion Design.

In addition, Plumstead has multiple small shopping centers within its boundaries and is adequately served by sports facilities for Cricket, Tennis, Hockey, and Bowls all located on Victoria Road. Plumstead is bordered to the East by the M5 expressway and to the West by the suburb of Constantia.
Back to Suburbs
DIEP RIVER
Diep River is named after the Diep River that runs through the area. The suburb is bordered by Heathfield to the south and Plumstead to the north. Diep River railway station is on the main line from Cape Town to Simon's Town.

Johann Georg Rathfelder, from Stuttgart (Germany), emigrated to the Cape in 1835. Following his marriage in the colony, he inherited a halfway-house near Wynberg. Rathfelder's Inn, as it soon became known, was famous for its hospitality and in the 1840's became the headquarters of the Cape Hunt. It also became a popular destination for Cape Town day-trippers. The site was also a mail-coach halt, and thus became the obvious location for a post office. Today the buildings house the Eaton Convalescent Home. In 1858 the name of the village was changed to Diep River. The Cape Town - Wynberg suburban railway was extended to Diep River on 15 December 1882.

Generally, the little suburb is not well known and, possibly because of this, there are properties in the area that still offer excellent value for money – solid homes on large properties. Diep River is served by two railway stations (Steurhof and Diep River), making the commute in and out of Cape Town a lot easier than in many other parts of the Southern Suburbs. There is an industrial node of Diep River which lies to the east of the railway line. Closer to the M5, you will find Rietvlei Reserve, with a sanctuary on one side and a recreational area on the other.
Back to Suburbs
DIEP RIVER CHELSEA
Between the Main Road and Boundary Road (below Meadowridge) is an area of predominantly semi-detached, heritage cottages, which has proven to be popular amongst the more trendy “Village Life” set.

Businesses and shops, mainly along the Main Road, which cater to this set are today well established and reminds one of the earlier history of the suburb as a whole.

Westcott Primary School is located within this small pocket. 
Back to Suburbs
SOUTHFIELD
Southfield, although part of Plumstead, is really a suburb in its own right. With its own shopping  / business precinct on Victoria Road and well established light industrial area on De Waal Rd, it is no surprise that Southfield has become a popular, family orientated area to live and work.

Like Plumstead, Southfield is valued for its central position with good access to the M5 and M3 freeways, False Bay beaches, Maynardville Theatre (Wynberg) and numerous shopping and entertainment facilities. The area is well served by all the facilities and schools of neighbouring areas of Plumstead and Diep River.
Back to Suburbs
OTTERY
Ottery is a residential area located in the Southern Suburbs, close to Plumstead, Wynberg, Kenilworth, and the Cape Flats. Ottery is well serviced by public transport providers, and is close to major highways (M3, M5, N2) leading in and out of the city centre.

Ottery was established around 1904, when the railway line from Maitland reached Ottery. The line was originally built and operated as a private line. The line was then acquired by the Cape Government on 1 July 1908. Today Ottery is on the edge of the southern suburbs of Cape Town. The suburb is well known for its Ottery Centre, a major shopping precinct which recently underwent an extensive refurbishment to modernize it, and increase the center’s retail offering. 

Ottery is also a place where Cape Flats culture, at its best, is experienced.  The culture in Ottery is characterised by trendy lingo and fresh sneakers and amidst all of this is a social culture that is alive and well with local hotspots.

Ottery is well served by schools – most notably Ottery School of Industries, Christel House School, The Oracle Academy High School, Ferndale Primary, and Battswood Primary School.
Back to Suburbs
HEATHFIELD
This residential suburb was named for the many varieties of heath that grew, and still grow there. Heathfield is bordered by Retreat to the South and Diep River to the North. The main railway line (which runs from Central Cape Town to Simon's Town) runs along the west of Heathfield. The area is served by Heathfield High School.

Heathfield Railway Station was opened in 1913 to assist passengers on the interchange of the railway line to Ottery.
Back to Suburbs
MEADOWRIDGE
Nestled between Bergvliet and Constantia, Meadowridge borrows a little from all of its neighbouring suburbs and yet has managed to develop a personality all of its own - particularly noticeable when taking a drive down Edison Road (aptly named after Thomas Edison) over Christmas, where a group of homes have taken it upon themselves to set a new standard in Christmas light decoration. 

Meadowridge is the second oldest “Garden City” in Cape Town and was officially opened on 23 March 1955. In years gone by the horse riding fraternity used to gallop all the way to the meadow just above the Ladies Mile circle, and then gallop all the way to the council depot at the top of the hill before crossing over to Kreuplebosch to finish their ride through the vineyards.

Today Meadowridge, as its name suggests, is a green suburb with a protected Common at its center. The streets are tree-lined; there are plenty of open spaces and parks and several wonderful views of the Constantiaberg Mountains and aspects of Table Mountain.

Meadowridge is typical of upmarket suburban living in the Mother City and the lifestyle here is sedate and easygoing.  There is a very active neighbourhood watch called BKM which stands for Bergvliet, Kreupelbosch and Meadowridge which has grown to include other neighbourhoods over the years. The rate payers association BMRA is also very active and fights to protect and develop the area. The suburb is close to good hospitals and shopping centers.

A large shopping centre provides the suburb’s commercial requirements and the area is well served by Constantiaberg Pre-Primary School, Westcott Primary School, Bergvliet Primary School, Sweet Valley Primary School, and Bergvliet High School. Sports facilities include a football club, tennis courts and bowls. The Meadowridge Library, one of Cape Town's top circulating libraries, serves Meadowridge and surrounding neighborhoods.
Back to Suburbs
BERGVLIET
Bergvliet, which means "Mountain Streamlet" in Afrikaans, is bordered by Retreat, Meadowridge, Tokai, and Heathfield. Lying in the Constantia Valley, it is a true example of suburban lifestyle in Cape Town with leafy streets lined with comfortable homes and beautifully established gardens, with a sedate lifestyle which is largely unaffected by tourism and the bustle of the City Centre (though only a mere 15 minutes’ drive away).   

Bergvliet is home to three schools: Bergvliet High School, Bergvliet Primary School, and Sweet Valley Primary School which have existed since the late 1940s and early 1950s. There is a very active neighbourhood watch called BKM which covers Bergvliet, Kreupelbosch, Meadowridge and other neighbourhoods. A very active BMRA rate payers association keeps an eye on development in the area. The suburb is close to good hospitals and shopping centers.

Bergvliet was formerly a large farm owned by Simon van der Stel which was once a part of the original Constantia farm. The original farmhouse of Cape Dutch design still stands on a large property on the Western border of Bergvliet. The Dreyersdal (Bergvliet) Farm, as it is known, is a very lush space with a small natural pond and bird sanctuary (“Die Oog”) on its Northern border. The farm is also a favorite dog walking and running location. The original farm was made into a residential suburb for returning South African servicemen from World War II.

A little known fact is that the main artery running through the suburb, Ladies Mile Road, was named after Lady Eleanor Mary Colyn, who died in 1839. She famously rode over a neigbouring farm, Bergvliet, to get to her son's farm – a right of way hotly and expensively contested in the Cape law courts which led to the insolvency of the neighbour and immortalized in the name of the road known today, rather ungrammatically, as Ladies Mile.
Back to Suburbs
DREYERSDAL
The development of Dreyersdal is closely linked to the development of Bergvliet and incorporates certain parts of the Dreyersdal farm. Today, Dreyersdal is a mixed use suburb with its combination of large freestanding residential properties, several smaller housing clusters, retirement villages, and commercial properties.

It is home to the Blue Route Mall – one of the best supported shopping malls in greater Cape Town. The only school in the area is Zwaanswyk Junior and Senior school, although there are other several significant private schools in the neighbouring suburbs of Steenberg Estate and Constantia Hills.

Being conveniently located close to major access routes (M3 and M5), with the pleasures of the leafy Constantia Valley and the scenic Southern Peninsula, have made Dreyersdal a popular suburb for enjoying a relatively slower-paced, tranquil lifestyle.  
Back to Suburbs
KREUPELBOSCH
Next door to Bergvliet, is the small, upmarket suburb of Kreupelbosch. Also once a part of the Groot Constantia farm of Simon Van der Stel. Kreupelbosch is conveniently situated close to the M3 highway, with great views of the Constantiaberg Mountains. The lifestyle here is sedate and easygoing.

Purely a residential area, Kreupelbosch has few facilities of its own, but rather “piggy-backs” off the excellent facilities of its neighbours – Constantia, Meadowridge, and Bergvliet. There is a NG Church in Walters Way, a green belt between the M3 and Purcell Way, and a popular play park in Van Der Poel Road. 

The internal roads of the suburb are relatively wide with large verges, the properties are fairly big (generally between 800sqm – 1,500sqm), and there are only two entrances in or out of the area. These factors, together with the excellent neighbourhood watch (BKM) and regular, private security patrols, has made Kreupelbosch an extremely popular choice for families. At the time of publishing, the suburb fell within the catchment area of Sweet Valley Primary School in Bergvliet. 
Back to Suburbs
UPPER CONSTANTIA
One of the oldest areas in Cape Town, and South Africa, Constantia is home to some of the oldest and most prestigious wine farms in the country, unrivalled natural beauty, relatively large homes, and some of Cape Town’s most renowned restaurants and hotels. 

Constantia is well served with schools - Norman Henshilwood High School, American International School of Cape Town, Herzlia Constantia, Constantia Primary School, Constantia Waldorf School, Reddam House and The Cape Academy of Maths, Science and Technology.

In addition, Constantia Village Centre is one of Cape Town’s most loved shopping precincts and the neighbouring Constantia Sports Club provides a full range of sporting and recreational facilities.

Random History: In 1661, during the Dutch conquest of Sumatra, Sheik Abdurachman Matebe Shah and his companion Sheikh Mahmoud were exiled to Constantia by the Dutch. Sheik Abdurachman is regarded as one of the three people that first brought Islam to South Africa.

Although the area offers a predominantly rural setting of forests, hills, and green belts, residents still enjoy easy access to the city and South Peninsula via the M3, and the Atlantic Sea Board and Hout Bay via Constantia Nek. The large grounds of properties in Upper Constantia (up to 16,000 m²), has made the area a popular choice for corporate headquarters, and upmarket hotels.    
Back to Suburbs
LOWER CONSTATIA (BARBAROSSA / DEURDRIF / THE VINES)
The area between Constantia Valley and Plumstead, Diep River and Meadowridge was once made up of rather unproductive farms. Once townships were established on these farms and the area sorted under the City of Cape Town, they jointly became known as Lower Constantia, divided into three areas (Barbarossa on the North end of the area, Deurdrif in the centre, and The Vines to the South). The areas are considered entry-level into Constantia. However, some magnificent residences have been built in Lower Constantia over the years which price tags would rival many homes in Upper Constantia. Erven are generally between 700 m² and 2,000 m² in size.

Lower Constantia (versus Upper Constantia) enjoys easier access to the M5 highway, retail shops along Gabriel Road and Diep River/Wynberg Main Road, Stodels Garden Centre, and Constantiaberg Mediclinic (hospital). The Vines is also home to Herzlia Primary School.
Back to Suburbs
ZWAANSWYK
Tucked up against the Constantiaberg and Steenberg Mountains and immediately adjacent to the Tokai Forest lies Zwaanswyk, providing the link between Upper Constantia and Tokai. This is one of the more affluent suburbs of Cape Town. Once part of the historically significant Steenberg Farm, today it incorporates the world renowned Steenberg Golf Course.

Zwaanswyk is a beautiful and tranquil area that provides a high standard of living, in an equestrian-style setting, with an active community watch.  

Although Zwaanswk does not itself contain commercial and schooling facilities, it is well served by neighbours Constantia and Tokai for these requirements.
Back to Suburbs
TOKAI
Tokai, a large residential suburb of Cape Town at the southern tip of the M3 highway, is situated on the foothills of the Constantiaberg, (a whaleback-shaped mountain in the Table Mountain range). The area is bordered by Westlake and Kirstenhof to the South, Bergvliet to the East, Constantia to the North and Zwaanswyk to the West. The area is particularly popular amongst cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts. 

Tokai, named after “Tokaj”, a range of hills in Hungary, was originally an open area with various wine farms and smallholdings. Today, though most of the wine farms are no longer there, there are still a few original Cape Dutch houses like those found in Constantia. The suburb was built in the late 1940s, and was built quickly because of the urgent need for housing for predominantly white, English-speaking South African soldiers returning from World War II.

Nearby is the Pollsmoor Prison, where Nelson Mandela and other political prisoners were incarcerated during the Apartheid regime. Mandela was there for four years (1984 to 1988) after his transfer from Robben Island, before moving on to Victor Verster Prison until his release on 11 February 1990.

Quite a few of the roads in the Dennendal part of Tokai (bordering the forest to the North) are paved with red brick. Streams run through the suburb and the pine plantations, forming green belts where various bird, frog, and insect species make their home. These green belts also provide areas for recreation including walking, cycling and dog walking. Tokai has a similar “feel” to Constantia, although properties are generally smaller and more affordable. A quaint centre at the top of Tokai Road by the name of Forest Glade, houses several dining and cafe options, a bicycle shop, as well as the local pharmacy.  

The area is served by schools in neighbouring suburbs (Reddam House in Westlake, American International School of Cape Town in Constantia, and Kirstenhof Primary School in Kirstenhof). The Blue Route Mall at the bottom of Tokai Road is a modern, large shopping centre with a wide retail offering. The area is well provided for, in terms of hospitals and clinics, namely Tokai Medicross, Melomed Private Hospital and numerous GP and specialist private practices.
Back to Suburbs
KIRSTENHOF
Kirstenhof is conveniently situated for easy access to the city via the M3, and some of Cape Town’s best beaches along the South Peninsula. A neighbour to Tokai, Kirstenhof shares a similar family-orientated suburban feel, while being even closer to the shopping and restaurant precinct of Blue Route Mall and the main road that winds its way through the suburbs of Rondebosch, Wynberg, Plumstead, Bergvliet and eventually right the way to  Muizenberg, Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek. Kirstenhof enjoys the convenience of numerous warehouse-size retail outlets, shopping centres, car dealerships, and specialty stores that line its vibrant pavements. 

All of this convenience is set against the breath-taking backdrop of the Constantiaberg Mountains. A mere 5 minutes’ drive from Kirstenhof, Tokai Forest offers stunning cycling and hiking paths, as well as braai/barbeque and picnic sites. 

Kirstenhof offers affordable family housing, superb convenience, and great education at the highly regarded Kirstenhof Primary School.
Back to Suburbs
LAKESIDE
Lakeside runs along the Northern base of the Steenberg Mountain range between Kirstenhof and Muizenberg. This predominantly residential area caters for a range of income levels, and offers smaller semis and low maintenance townhouses alongside the railway line and picturesque Zandvlei Nature Reserve, right the way up the mountain side to larger formidable residences with breathtaking views. As you enter Lakeside from Steenberg Road, you will notice a pavement garden planted by the Zandvlei Trust, which indicates the edge of the wetlands. From there, a quiet pathway passes a pond and there is a bench that overlooks the Nature Reserve. 

Below Lakeside, the Zandvlei Lake offers a number of water activities, including yachting, windsurfing and canoeing. The glorious beaches of Muizenberg are within moments of this suburb. The M3 is conveniently nearby, offering a direct route into the city. Lakeside Village shopping centre, which is located on the Main Road, offers an option for daily shopping necessities. Although there are no schools within Lakeside, the surrounding neighbouring suburbs of Muizenberg, Kirstenhof, Westlake and Bergvliet satisfy this need.
Back to Suburbs
ZANDVLEI
The Zandvlei area of Lakeside on the Western bank of the estuary offer reasonably priced properties where residents can enjoy the natural pleasures and recreational possibilities of the Zandvlei Nature Reserve.

Zandvlei Nature Reserve is an important wetland and estuary situated between Lakeside and parts of Muizenberg. It attracts bird watchers, walkers, picnickers, canoeists, and windsurfers (an excellent spot for beginners). It is one of the most accessible reserves in Cape Town, as it is next to Lakeside Station and close to Main Road. The Zandvlei Environmental Education Centre on the northern side is reached via Marina da Gama. 

Zandvlei is the only functioning estuary on the False Bay coast, and supports a variety of indigenous fish.  Southern mullet, leervis, the critically endangered white steenbras, white stumpnos and elf are among the 25 types of fish found in the estuary. Juvenile marine fish use the estuary as a nursery, where they can grow in safety. Local anglers are encouraged to remove alien invasive fish species, such as common carp and barbel. 

Zandvlei provides an important habitat for birds, both those that live there year round and those that migrate from Europe, Asia and other parts of Africa  About 150 species of bird and eighteen different reptiles have been recorded in the reserve, including the marsh terrapin, brown water snake and mole snake, as well as 210 different plant species. 
Back to Suburbs
MUIZENBERG
Muizenberg is a mixed use sea-side suburb. It is situated where the shore of the Cape Peninsula curves round to the east of the False Bay coastline, astride the railway link between the city and Simonstown. It has long sandy beaches that stretch for kilometers between St James and Strandfontein. Muizenberg’s shallow, warm water makes it an ideal place to learn to surf. So it should come as no surprize that Muizenberg is considered to be the birthplace of surfing in South Africa and is home to a surfing community and several surfing schools, centered around the popular 'Surfer's Corner'. Agatha Christie, famous author and playwright, wrote that after nursing duty she would daily take the train to Muizenberg to go surfing. For many locals, the area is more than just a summer destination, and once you move away from the magnificent beach, you will discover a plethora of quirky shops and businesses in this distinctly bohemian seaside village.

Historically, the village has several special features, including Het Posthuys, Rhodes' Cottage, and the site of the Battle of Muizenberg. Muizenberg is home to many examples of the grand architecture of its Victorian times when Muizenberg was an exclusive seaside resort for the rich and famous.

Many of the buildings in Muizenberg date from the resort town's heyday and are built in the art deco style. At its peak the Muizenberg beachfront attracted masses of holiday-makers and the beach in front of the pavilion earned the name "The Snake Pit". It boasted a large Jewish population that attended the synagogue in Camp Rd. In 1911 Muizenberg became the site of the first official South African airmail which was flown from Kenilworth. Magnificent homes were built along Beach and Royal Roads in Muizenberg, among them many homes designed by Sir Herbert Baker. Muizenberg Railway station is a magnificent Edwardian building with an impressive clock tower and the amusements in Muizenberg, along with the glorious beach, were unparalleled along the South African coastline.

However, it wasn't long ago that Muizenberg's beachfront was virtually derelict, with more boarded-up buildings than visitors. However, residents refused to let the area go and today, thanks to plenty of hard work and private investment, Muizenberg is once again the place to be seen on the Cape Town coast. 

Muizenberg houses one of the False Bay College campuses and is also home to the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences. Schooling is provided by the Muizenberg Primary and High Schools. Its book shops, bric-a-brac, and eateries all reflect a home- grown culture that makes ‘Muizies’ a one of a kind neighbourhood to enjoy all year round.
Back to Suburbs
MARINA DA GAMA
Marina da Gama, built in the 1970s, is a residential area of approximately 1,500 properties (1,268 freehold and 234 sectional title units) grouped around a number of waterways which are an extension of the Zandvlei estuary. Reminiscent of a Greek village, with its white homes and perpetually blue days, Marina da Gama is built on the eastern banks and the waterways of the quiet Zandvlei Lake - an inland salt water lake, connected to the sea. Together with Park Island and the reserve on the north western side of the vlei, they form the Greater Zandvlei Estuary Nature Reserve.

Mountain and water views from Marina da Gama are beautiful and hours can be whiled away on the vlei’s banks, watching the bird life. Rather like a mini Venice, it’s not unknown for residents to drop in on one another by boat or canoe. 

The commercial center of Tokai is only a short drive away for all one’s shopping requirements, while Capricorn Square Shopping Centre just across Price George Drive and Muizenberg are two local options for daily necessities. There are no schooling facilities within Marina Da Gama but plentiful options exist in the neighbouring areas.
Back to Suburbs
COSTA DA GAMA
Considered a part of greater Muizenberg, Costa Da Gama is just across Prince George Drive and includes Capricorn and Capricorn beach. This is an area of affordable cluster housing and apartments, particularly popular amongst newly-weds and young families (as starter homes), retirees, and holiday makers. Costa Da Gama offers amazing value for money considering its proximity to the amenities of Muizenberg, major transport routes (road and railway), and the beaches of the Southern Peninsula.

The commercial center of Tokai is only a short Drive away for all shopping requirements, while Capricorn Square Shopping Centre and Muizenberg are two local options for daily necessities. There are no schooling facilities within Costa Da Gama but plentiful options exist in the neighbouring suburbs.
Back to Suburbs
SILVERTREE ESTATE, TOKAI
Situated at the foot of Ou Kaapse Weg, Silvertree Estate is a prestigious, exceptionally well-run, and peaceful security estate in the southern suburbs of Cape Town. The major drawcard of the estate is its direct pedestrian access into Reddam House private school - a co-educational, non-denominational, independent school offering education for learners between 1–18 years of age. The estate has a building design code and very active Home Owners Association, which has ensured that the estate looks as good as it did when it was opened in 2000.  

Silvertree Estate is conveniently located at the end of the M3 highway – which provides direct access to the city (a mere 25 minutes’ drive outside of peak traffic hours). With wine farms, golf courses, Steenberg Village shopping centre, and surfing hot spots within 5 minutes’ drive, this luxury, gated estate provides the tranquillity that goes hand in hand with Cape Town’s leafy suburbs. 
Back to Suburbs
STEENBERG GOLF ESTATE
Steenberg is the oldest wine farm in the Cape Peninsula, dating back to the days of Simon van der Stel. The original land grant for the farm was allocated to Catharina Ustings Ras by Governor van der Stel. Catharina was a controversial character of pioneering spirit, who as young widow had left her native Germany to undertake the perilous journey to the tip of Africa. Although she settled on the farm in 1682, an official mandate was only granted to her in 1688 "to cultivate, to plough, to sow and to possess" the land. She first named it Swaaneweide - the feeding place of swans. The main avenue of the Estate, Catharina Avenue, was named in memory of this colourful character.

Steenberg Golf Estate is renowned as a premier golf estate in South Africa and one of the finest golfing experiences in the world. In addition to the exceptional golfing, Steenberg also offers a range of other signature experiences including award-winning wines and fine dining. 

Other attractions include a luxury spa, 5-star hotel, exclusive Club House and a collection of original artworks by the likes of Cecil Skotnes and Edoardo Villa, both highly respected South African artists.

There are few places in the world where you’ll get a round of golf as spectacular as that provided by the setting of Steenberg Golf Estate – set against a backdrop of the Constantiaberg Mountains between the fynbos and vineyards of South Africa’s oldest wine farm. 
Back to Suburbs
STONEHURST MOUNTAIN ESTATE
Stonehurst Mountain Estate is a modern, secure, residential eco-estate situated on the slopes of the Silvermine Mountains. The estate occupies a prime 100 hectare site, overlooking the Constantia Valley to the north-west and False Bay to the south-east.

Located in the heart of the Cape Fynbos kingdom, Stonehurst is home to a wide variety of indigenous fauna and flora, and offers discerning homeowners the opportunity of being close to nature in a contemporary, family-friendly, very secure environment. Striking a seamless balance between ecological sensitivity and meeting the modern-day lifestyle needs of residents, the estate is interspersed with footpaths, parks, streams, ponds and riverine areas, whilst a Lifestyle Centre provides residents with contemporary facilities, including a lounge, bar, games room and fully equipped gym. 
Back to Suburbs
IMHOFF’S GIFT
Imhoff’s Gift is an access-controlled suburb on the Wildevoelvlei Lake, which sits adjacent to Imhoff Farm. The area is accessed by Kommetjie Road, which due to recent upgrades, has seen a radical increase in the desirability of this quiet, laid-back village.

From this position, residents can enjoy stunning views of Chapman’s Peak, the vlei, and sun swept Long Beach. The area is considered to be relatively safe with a strong sense of community. The suburb’s proximity to the beach, great local restaurants and markets, Long Beach Mall, and several options for schools, has made it a popular choice for families that enjoy the outdoors.  
Back to Suburbs
SCARBOROUGH
Scarborough is a small hamlet on the West coast of the Southern Peninsula, just north of Cape Point. The suburb consists of a few hundred houses of varying building designs, either above or below the single road used to enter or exit the village. Over the last two decades, many low impact, eco-friendly homes have been constructed in the village which advocate the environmentally-conscious nature of many of the village’s residents. Many of the properties in Scarborough are used as weekend or summer holiday homes. 

For many years, only one small shop served the residents and visitors. In recent years, new businesses have opened along the Main Road, which provide patrons with a fine selection of organic produce, fresh bread, pastries, and great coffee. A massive appeal of the area is its location between a mountain reserve and beach reserve. 
Back to Suburbs
LAKE MICHELLE
The award-winning Lake Michelle eco estate lies around a lake covering an area of 22 hectares, where extensive wooden walkways criss-cross reedbeds and ponds. The estate offers an upmarket, extremely secure lifestyle within an established community of residents of varying ages. The estate is home to over 120 species of birdlife, many types of fish, otters and the rare Leopard Toad. The shallow waters around the islands also attract wading birds and water fowl to this idyllic corner of the Cape.

The estate is close to Noordhoek Farm Village, Longbeach Mall, Noordhoek Beach, Chapman’s Peak Drive, Cape Point Vineyards, dozens of horse paddocks, and several hiking trails.
Back to Suburbs
NOORDHOEK
Noordhoek is a laid-back coastal suburb at the southern base of Chapman’s Peak Mountain. The suburb runs from the lower part of the valley, where one will find equestrian-sized properties, right up the mountainside to homes that overlook the long, sandy Noordhoek Beach. The area is particularly popular with hikers, horseback riders, and cyclists. Tours, tastings and rustic-chic dining are the draw to Cape Point Vineyards, while Noordhoek Farm Village offers artisan bakeries, coffee roasters, gifts shops, pubs and juice bars. Chapman's Peak Drive, which snakes northward along the rugged coastline to Hout Bay, offers striking mountain and ocean vistas.  
Back to Suburbs
GLENCAIRN HEIGHTS
Glencairn Heights is a residential area of 470 properties (some not yet developed) set against the beautiful Glencairn mountainside in the Southern Peninsula. The suburb offers a relaxed environment, with spectacular views over the Elserivier wetland, and across False Bay towards Simon’s Town.   

Basic necessities are available from the local Kwikspar, as well as some dining options and fuel from the recently revamped Total Service Station.     
Back to Suburbs
GLENCAIRN / CAIRNSIDE / WELCOME GLEN
Glencairn, together with the small residential node of Cairnside and lesser-known Welcome Glen are sea-side suburbs in the Southern Peninsula of Cape Town. These adjacent suburbs are situated about 4 km north of Simon’ Town, on the False Bay shoreline. Lying between Fish Hoek and Simon’s Town, in the bend of the road where the M4 meets the M6, Glencairn and the beach of the same name are often overlooked for the better known destinations of Simon’s Town and Cape Point Nature Reserve. 

The mountainous village of Glencairn, with its fantastic sea views, is actually a wetland conservation area with hiking trails, 2250 indigenous plant species, resident clawless otters, birds, mongooses and buck – all within 2 km of Long Beach Mall. 

Glencairn’s railway station includes a subway that leads right on to the beach and as such is popular for morning and evening walks. The sheltered Glencairn Beach, with its gentle seas and accompanying tidal pool, is perfect for swimming, snorkelling, surfing and sunbathing. 

Glencairn is also a good spot for whale watching in season and the locals will tell you tales of Great White sightings too. The wreck of the Glencairn barge lies about 450 metres off the Glencairn quarry and serves as a diving haunt for local divers who love it for the swim-throughs and the stunning reef that surrounds the wreck.

Glencairn’s homes are set right against the mountain, overlooking False Bay, and close to local shops and restaurants. Simon’s Town is around the corner, and Boulders Beach (one of the few land-based resident penguin colonies) is a mere 10 minutes’ away.
Back to Suburbs
SIMON’S TOWN
Simon's Town, sometimes spelled Simonstown, is the southern-most village of the Southern Peninsula. The town was named after Simon van der Stel. The bay was made the official winter anchorage for the Dutch East India Company’s ships in 1743. Baron G. W. van Imhoff, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies, who touched at the Cape in the same year, chose a site for a magazine, hospital and barracks at Simon’s Town. A small garrison was stationed there, and when a stone pier was constructed in 1768, a bakery, a slaughter-house, a carpenter’s shop and a smithy were simultaneously erected, as well as a residence for the Governor. 

In 1814, Simon’s Town was turned into a naval establishment, and a harbour was constructed, which became the base of the South Atlantic squadron of the Royal Navy (now the South African Navy). During the First World War, the Suez Canal closed, and Simon’s Town rendered important services as a British naval base. During the Second World War, it again became a key point. The dockyard staff then rose to 5000, and some 170 warships and 60 damaged merchant vessels were repaired there. Admiralty House in Simon’s Town is the official residence of the Chief of the South African Navy. The naval base was adapted continually during the 1960’s and early 1970’s to meet the requirements of South Africa’s growing maritime defences. The developments included accommodation for the country’s submarines.

Simon’s Town has had its own municipality since 1883, and after Cape Town, it is the oldest independent municipality in the Cape Peninsula. Simon’s Town is the terminus of the suburban railway from Cape Town. The town has many excellent bathing beaches, the best-known being Seaforth and the Boulders – which is one of the few land-based resident penguin colonies in South Africa. 
Back to Suburbs
ST JAMES
St James is a residential suburb of Cape Town, situated on the False Bay coast between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay. The suburb sits between the rocky shore and a steep mountain, and measures about 200m by 2 km. 

The local beach is well known for its colourful Victorian bathing boxes, tidal pool and rock pools, which are popular with children. Most of the suburb was built between 1910 and 1950, after the railway line was constructed to connect Cape Town to Simon’s Town.
Back to Suburbs
KALK BAY
Kalk Bay is a fishing village located on the coast of False Bay, between St James and Clovelly, in the Southern Peninsula of Cape Town. The suburb runs along a relatively narrow stretch of accessible mountain slope at the bottom of Boyes Drive, between the ocean and the steep southeast end of the Steenberg Mountain range. 

Kalk Bay is relatively quiet during winter, but overflows with visitors and tourists between November and January each year. The little village is best known for its beautiful harbour, art galleries, bohemian shops, and a vast selection of restaurants and cafés. Kalk Bay is also home to the tiny but locally famous surf spot called "Kalk Bay Reef", which delivers heavy barrels due to the associated shallow reef. 
Back to Suburbs
FISH HOEK
Fish Hoek is a large, predominantly residential suburb situated in a bay at the end of a broad, low valley (2-3 km wide), which runs from east to west across the Cape Peninsula - from Fish Hoek on the False Bay side to Noordhoek and Kommetjie on the Atlantic Ocean side. 

Fish Hoek beach was first used on an informal basis for whaling and fishing. It was not until 1918 that it was laid out as a township. Initially people only built holiday cottages in the village, but the good train service to Cape Town soon attracted a more permanent community. By 1940 it was big enough to be declared a municipality and was administered by the Town Council until 1996. After being part of the transitional South Peninsula Municipality from 1996 to 2000, Fish Hoek now falls under the City of Cape Town. Most of the commercial activity in Fish Hoek is located along Main Road (close to the beach). 

The suburb is surrounded by rugged mountains and boasts one of the safest swimming beaches in Cape Town. The glorious bay with white sandy beach, great value for money in terms of real estate prices, and low levels of crime has made Fish Hoek an incredibly popular choice for families and retirees. Local schools include Fish Hoek Primary and High Schools, Laerskool Paul Greyling, False Bay College and several playschools. The suburb also boasts an Athletic Club, Baseball Club, hospital and a museum. There are approximately 3,000 freehold properties and 1,000 apartments registered within Fish Hoek.
Back to Suburbs
CLOVELLY
Clovelly is a small, residential suburb located between Fish Hoek and Kalk Bay, on the south western slopes of the Silvermine Nature Reserve. Part of the suburb is situated above Main Road on the bend to Kalk Bay. This section has spectacular views across Fish Hoek beach and False Bay. The larger part of the suburb can only be accessed by one road (Clovelly Road) which runs right the way through the suburb and ends at the Clovelly Country Club. The lower roads tend to be more popular with younger families because of the relatively level grounds, whereas the majority of the properties located higher up have been constructed on steep mountainous inclines. The elevated position of the higher roads grants these residents magnificent views across Fish Hoek and for some, views of Long Beach out towards Kommetjie. 

Founded in 1932, the Clovelly Country Club is home to an 18 hole golf course which is ranked 55 out of 450 courses in South Africa. Approximately 55,000 rounds of golf are played on the course every year. 

Clovelly is particular popular amongst wealthy retirees and foreign holiday makers. Clovelly does not have any shops or schools, and so residents make use of the amenities available in Fish Hoek. 
Back to Suburbs
SUNNYDALE
Sunnydale is a residential suburb in the South Peninsula, situated between Capri, Lake Michelle, and Sun Valley. Many of the homes enjoy slight north-elevated positions with views towards either the Capri mountainside or Chapman’s Peak.  The suburb offers varying accommodation from studio apartments in security complexes to large residences on stands of roughly 700m2. There is a lovely green belt below Jefferson Road, which is popular in the evenings with dog walkers and families. 

The recently revamped Long Beach Mall (including a Virgin Active Gym) is located within Sunnydale. The mall is the largest of its kind in the Fish Hoek valley, and houses numerous supermarkets, retail brands, restaurants and businesses.  
Back to Suburbs
SUN VALLEY 
Sun Valley is a family-orientated residential suburb in the South Peninsula, located at the centre of the Fish Hoek valley between Sunnydale, Capri and Fish Hoek. The area is relatively flat, and most of the freestanding houses occupy stands that are between 400 - 700m2 in size. 

There are no shops in Sun Valley, so residents make use of the amenities at the nearby Long Beach Mall in Sunnydale. Sun Valley however boasts a fantastic primary school (Sun Valley Primary) which continues to attract families to the area. The school has built an excellent reputation in the Fish Hoek valley. For this reason, it receives hundreds of new applications every year.  

Sun Valley is a particularly popular choice for hikers, dog walkers, and families that are looking for great valley for money.  
Back to Suburbs
CAPRI
Capri is a family-orientated residential suburb in the South Peninsula, situated on the gentle, north facing slopes above Kommetjie Road. The residents of this quiet suburb enjoy a laid-back lifestyle, with mountain and distant sea views. Most of the properties are on relatively large grounds at an average of 800 m2. 

There are no shops in Capri, so residents make use of the amenities at the nearby Long Beach Mall in Sunnydale, and many local children attend one of the schools in Sun Valley or Fish Hoek.  
Back to Suburbs
KOMMETJIE / KLEIN SLANGKOP
Kommetjie (Afrikaans for "small basin") is a residential seaside village in the South Peninsula of Cape Town, at the southern end of the white sand beach (Long Beach) that runs northwards towards Chapman's Peak and Noordhoek. Within Kommetjie, adjacent to the start of Long Beach, is the private, access-controlled estate of Klein Slangkop.

The village offers a quiet, relaxed lifestyle. It is particularly renowned for its great camping, holiday homes, Milkwood groves, birdwatching, and baboon troops. Local amenities include a several basic shops, a Shell garage, café, selection of restaurants, and Kommetjie Primary School. There is also a shipwreck (The Kakapo) which ran aground in 1900, and now rests on Long Beach north of the village. 

Kommetjie is home to the Slangkop Lighthouse, situated on the beach, which stands about 33 metres tall. The lighthouse can be seen from the mountain pass "Ou Kaapse Weg" and has been around since 1919. The famous Pick 'n Pay Argus Cycle Tour passes each year through this small town which is also popular for local and international surfing. The cold currents in this region provide for great fishing, including crayfishing.

Kommetjie is the hometown of the South African singer-songwriter Jeremy Loops.
Back to Suburbs
IMHOFF’S GIFT / BLUEWATER ESTATE
Imhoff’s Gift is a residential community of roughly 270 houses, situated on the banks of the Wildevoelvlei (managed by SANParks). Residents enjoy a tranquil lifestyle of quiet roads, amazing sunsets, good birdwatching, and beautiful pockets of fynbos. Most of the properties have views across the wetland towards Chapman’s Peak and Long Beach.

Bluewater Estate is situated within Imhoff’s Gift, to the west of Atlantic Drive. The estate is an access-controlled security village with a Cape Vernacular building style, and makes up approximately forty percent of Imhoff’s Gift.